Sunday, October 27, 2013

Steam egg with silken tofu and prawns

How was everybody's weekend?

Mine was pretty eventful, my husband and I went shopping with 1 of his best friend for household items as his friend has just shifted into his new flat. We had a great time helping to look around for  suitable stuff for his new place. I was pretty happy with the trip and it brought back memories of when my hubby and I were shopping for our new place. And I discovered this really delicious donut at Ikea. $2 for 4 pieces. It was covered in snow sugar and it has chocolate fillings within. OMG. Its super delicious~! You guys gotta try it when you are there. No pictures I'm sorry..was too busy eating. LOLx...We ended the day at his friend's place, playing with his son. Absolutely adorable...
Wish we have kids soon...but I guess good things have to wait...=)

On Sunday, we went on a family + furkids gathering at K9 Kulture.

Left the house with an excited Kira
The Journey...
we tried very hard to make the furkids look into the camera....

The food for human is not bad. I did not order any food for Kira as I am always a tiny bit sceptical with outside food... They tend to look greasy. But my cousins' furkids enjoyed the meatballs. We had a ball of a time but I was totally exhausted by the end of Sunday.


Thus after an eventful weekend, my husband and I were really on low batt mode and he requested for a simple 1 dish porridge dinner. I readily agreed and decided to make steam egg with silken tofu and prawns.

I found a recipe online from Weeknite Meals blog and made the following adaptions : (http://weeknitemeals.wordpress.com/2011/03/10/steamed-silken-tofu-with-shrimp-and-egg/)

Ingredients:

1 pkg Silken Tofu 1 tube of egg tofu
10-12 large fresh Shrimp
2 eggs ( I used 3 instead) 2 scallions
1 ½ tsp (each) chicken flavored seasoning, soy sauce
2tsb chicken stock  Replaced with water
1 tsp sesame oil

Instructions :

1. Slice silken tofu into 1 cm thick pieces. Cut off tips of scallions, rinse and thinly slice into pieces.
2. Remove shell and head from shrimps. Rinse well, butterfly the shrimp and remove guts, then place on top of shrimp.
3. In a bowl, crack the eggs and whisk together with 1 ½ tsp chicken flavored seasoning  and some chicken stock  light soy sauce.
4. Pour egg mixture on tofu and shrimps.
5. Steam for 10-15 minutes. Remove and set aside.
 6. Mix together 1 ½ tsp light soy sauce with 1 tsp sesame oil, and pour on the steamed tofu and shrimps.
    Garnish with thinly sliced scallions.

The final product :

Did not turn out smooth..=_=
Notes:

- The reason I did not use scallions was because I bought my ingredients from a supermarket and the quantity they sell is too much for a single dish. I am worried that I will have wasted thus did not add them in. Feel free to add it when you try this out on your own.

- I replaced chicken stock with water as I do not have ready chicken stock and I am not in favour of chicken stock cubes thus decided to use water instead. I estimated about 3 halves of the egg shells amount but should have added more I feel as my egg did not turn out as smooth as chawanmushi.


In the end I added preserved choysum for dinner. 

Hubby love the steam egg with tofu and prawns. We both feel that the sesame oil really brings out the flavour a lot.

This is really a simple 10mins dish that is really helpful for us working adults. Not to mention that it is considered a healthy dish as well~!

Now, I wonder what should the correct amount of water to add for steam egg.....hmmm....


No comments:

Post a Comment