Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Angel Hair With Spicy Shrimp

I have always enjoyed pasta with white wine sauce and to my delight, I found a recipe on realsimple.com while searching for something simple to cook for dinner yesterday.
Excited , I set off to get the ingredients after work.

Recipe : Angel Hair With Spicy Shrimp.
Serves 4. Cooking time : 15mins
Ingredients :

  • 12 ounces angel hair pasta or spaghetti (3/4 of a box)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
  • 3/4 cup dry white wine
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • kosher salt
  • 2 tablespoons butter

  • During the search for ingredients :

    I hit a "road block" when I saw "dry white wine". What exactly is that? Is it just simple white wine? Or is it something specific. I decided to try searching the supermarket for the exact term. To my dismay, nothing fits. So I thought, could it be cooking wine? I saw Cooking White Wine and decided to look it up on Google. To my surprise, it is not recommended to use that simply because, if it says cooking wine, it meant that it is not fit for drinking. Strictly for cooking. It then suggested to buy white wine but avoid sweet wines. Figuring that it meant no Moscato, I went to the wine corner to look for the smallest bottle of wine I can find. So I got JACOB'S CREEK CHARDONNAY, 187ml.

    Instructions :

    1. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and return pasta to the pot.
    2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute (do not let it brown).
    3. Add the shrimp, wine, red pepper, and ½ teaspoon salt. Simmer until the shrimp are opaque, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the butter.
    4. Toss the pasta with the shrimp mixture.
    I followed the recipe but adjusted the amount of ingredients required since I am only cooking for only 1 person. It turned out to be rather bitter as I forgot to lower the amount required when it comes to the wine part... Silly me. Nevertheless, I am exactly at realising that to cook white wine sauce is so simple. Definitely gonna try again. Did not take any pictures last night. Will take the pictures when I try the recipe out again.

    Told my hubby about my new found recipe and he simply ask me, "What about cream sauce? Did you find any recipe for cream sauce?" *twitch-twitch*

    Anyway, please do share with me if you know what wine to use or has any recommendation.

    Till my next cooking ....

    Celine.....

    No comments:

    Post a Comment